Thursday, October 25, 2012

The Little Things

Oftentimes, when I'm browsing around in my favorite (expensive) stores, I ache at all of the beautiful things that exist for the home. Then "I want this, I want that" sets in. That's when it's all over.

After careful study, I realize that what makes me pine over such things is because of the level of detail that went into the product. Or it's something unique. And the best part is...these are all characteristics that can be created with your own thriftiness!

That's right boys and girls. We've gone way too long without another Cheapskate Tip!

Handmade and decorative soap costs at least $5.00 and upward. As you see, I have a small collection of amazing decorative vintage-inspired soaps made by Nepenthe's Bathtime Soap. But there are other more inexpensive (read: $2.00), handmade soaps I can get my hands on that are not packaged and are quite plain. How does one dress up plain soap in a jiffy? Washi Tape! A quick tape around that bar can add pizazz! Now my cheap bar of soap is just cool enough to hang out with the others...

Now we've all seen plants potted in many re-usable containers left and right. No doubt this is an inexpensive alternative. After I potted this succulent in my old jar, it was not exciting me at all. I also know that this succulent tends to grow tall and will lose its uprightness. So I made this cool little plant "crutch" disguised as a flower--all made out of items I had laying around the house.

  1. Cut felt fabric in circular spiral. Hot glue spiral back together, overlapping all edges. This creates a domed petal effect.
  2. We save all of the bottle caps from our favorite local tea-maker, Sweet Leaf Tea, because they have witty little quotes on the underside. It's like a fortune-cookie drink. I used this bottle cap as the flower's center; attach with hot glue. This cap in particular was fitting, as it says, "Life is a Garden--Dig It."
  3. Hot glue flower head onto a disposable takeout chopstick.
  4. Shove into the dirt.
A decorating rule of thumb is (a) repetition; and (b) grouping like items. Create an autumn table display with some of your everyday decorative items along with seasonal items such as pumpkins. Add the edible arrangement: Grab a vintage vessel an throw in some nuts that are falling off of your pecan or walnut tree in the backyard. Drop in a nut cracker so your display beckons the guest to partake and feel at home.


(All photos via Art and Facts)

No comments:

Post a Comment