Thursday, January 9, 2014

Desert Snow Globe Cheapskate Tutorial

With the unusually low temperatures across most of the U.S., it was not so fun stepping outside for too long. Yet, I found myself craving snow even though it's a rare site here in central Texas. What better way to achieve the satisfaction of a snowy winter day than in the comfort of your warm home? I decided to compensate for our lackluster winters by creating a snow globe. This is not just any old snow globe, folks. It's a combination of the native plants of Texas (think: succulents/ cacti) and wishful thinking (powdery snow.) Easy to make, quick to enjoy, and no need to go anywhere! How's that for instant gratification?
This snow globe (like most everything else I make) consists of re-purposed and upcycled materials. You guessed it. This qualifies as an official Art and Facts Cheapskate Tip!!!

I did not purchase anything for this project, including the snow. You can create your unique treasure by utilizing items you are storing away. Start digging! Here are the materials I used: 
  • Plastic succulent greenery decor
  • Salsa jar - salsa consumed, label removed and cleaned
  • Jewelry bead that doesn't have a home
  • Epoxy
  • White feathers
The horticulture specimen of your choice will require a sturdy base so that it will remain upright. I used a cubed silver bead as my base. Shove the wired stem into the bead hole and glue. Then, glue the bead to the lid of the jar and let it fully dry.

Now, we can make it snow. I didn't want to make the type of snow globe with water and glycerin this time. I wanted some serious powder. Fluff. Airiness. I was too lazy to go to the craft store and buy the fake snow. What to use...what to use? Eureka!.........Feathers!!! Feathers would make terrific snow!
I used white feathers for a more realistic look, but I started to imagine the use of brightly colored feathers for cool ironic and artistic look. Maybe for the next snow globe project...

Snip the feathers into tiny shredded pieces.  Continue clipping until you are happy with the height of the snow laying at the bottom.

Screw on the lid and adore your newly bottled winter wonderland!

1 comment: